21, 1st Tverskaya-Yamskaya Str.,
Moscow, 125047, Russia
Tel.: +7 (495) 935 8010
Fax: +7 (495) 935 8011
Maxim Burda is a patent and trademark attorney at the Moscow office of the Firm. Maxim focuses on contentious IP matters, which include complex litigations and enforcement actions over protection of trademarks, patents and other IP assets from counterfeiting, piracy, cybersquatting and other infringements.
Maxim is also well-experienced in all aspects of non-contentious IP matters, in particular transactional & contractual IP work, as well as designing clients’ internal policies on IP works-for-hire.
As a registered Russian patent (design) and trademark attorney, Maxim deals with pre-grant & post-grant patent (design) and trademark prosecution, specifically, managing clients’ patent (design) and trademark portfolios, advising on their state registration, licensing and assignment, as well as conducting such registration for clients. Maxim also represents clients before the Russian Patent and Trademark Office (Rospatent) and the Russian Patent Dispute Chamber.
Maxim has extensive experience in advising clients on competition and advertising matters. Having in-depth procedural expertise in both court and out-of-court dispute resolution, Maxim frequently represents clients in other non-IP disputes.
Under various engagements Maxim has advised and represented many of the largest international and Russian media companies, record labels, news outlets, marketing consultancies, luxury goods manufacturers, food and FMCG companies, retail and hotel chains, as well as automotive, forestry, chemical and pharmaceutical companies.
Maxim’s selected career highlights include:
- Representing an international pharmaceutical company in a series of complex litigations over infringements of a patented innovative pharmaceutical product by generic manufacturers.
- Advocating for a major Russian supplier of components for printing equipment in a multimillion-rouble patent lawsuit filed by an international imaging and optical products manufacturer.
- Providing legal support to a leading Russian real estate developer and a major Russian agricultural holding in securing their key brands as well-known Russian trademarks.
- Representing an international brewery in a litigation over an infringement of an opponent’s trademark series.
- Litigating for a regional news outlet over a trademark non-use action filed by a leading Russian Internet media firm.
- Representing a leading Russian agricultural holding in nearly 10 non-use actions, simultaneously filed by a competitor against trademarks protecting previous versions of logos and packaging of widely-known products of the client.
- Advising on cybersquatting for the largest international furniture retailer.
- Providing notable litigation on behalf of major record companies over a massive infringement of popular phonograms across the largest Russian social network.
- Providing all-sided IP advisory for leading Russian and multinational companies on IP-assets protection, in particular, on trademark registration, licensing and assignment, as well as on rebranding and entering the Russian market.
- Carrying out anti-counterfeit campaigns for international clients, including identification of counterfeit products in the Russian market, claim settlement with infringers and, where settlements were impossible, liaising with enforcement agencies and judicial recourse.
- Advising on competition and advertising for a leading international retail chain and a major international marketing consultancy, particularly, on operating massive promotional events and loyalty campaigns in Russia.
- Representing interests of a reputable international business magazine and a major chemical company in defamation litigation over a discrediting publicity on the Internet.
- Designing internal policies on IP works-for-hire for prominent Russian software & IT companies.
Prior to joining Egorov, Puginsky, Afanasiev & Partners, Maxim worked in IP and dispute resolution practices in reputable international and Russian law firms.
For his work in IP and dispute resolution Maxim has been consistently recommended by major international and Russian rankings and directories, including The Legal 500, IP Stars, Best Lawyers and Pravo.ru-300, in particular as the Rising IP Star.
Maxim graduated from Kutafin Moscow State Law University as a lawyer and as an English translator in professional communications. In 2018, Maxim completed postgraduate studies in trademark prosecution, and in 2020 – in patent (design) prosecution, at the Russian State Intellectual Property Academy.
He is fluent in English and Czech